Some wishes

Postby RJA4000 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi

I thought I'd add a few wishes here

1. Editable (or, at least, readable) .psf file

2. In generator, allow to change the Unit of measurement for level
I'd like to be able to chose between, as an example, V, dBFS, %

3. A DDP for number of averaged samples
to be able to take the measure with automation without having to "guess" when it's averaged as wished

4. Allow Sum (average) of A+B channels as an input for FFT

5. Allow to select in ADC/DAC devices list and set up automatically all parameters (including calibration) from there

RJA4000

Re: Some wishes

Postby RJA4000 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 pm

6. Allow auto-aligning, sizing of DDP boxes

7. Allow change of title font (font size) for DDP boxes

8. Add a button to display/hide Channel A or B from Spectrum analyzer display, without having to re-measure

RJA4000

Postby VirtinsTech » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you for the suggestions.

1. See the previous reply.

2. Already exists
dBV, dBFS, or dBu unit display in parallel with the unit display of V is already provided at the bottom of the inner pair of vertical scrollbars on the signal generator panel. Click the displayed text to change the displayed unit.

3. A DDP named "Number of Frames" will be added.

4. will be provided.

5.[Setting]>[Restore to Factory Default] is already provided for this purpurse. For sound cards, currently only calibration settings for one sound card can be saved. Other ADC/DAC devices come calibrated and no additional calibration setting is required.

6.Already provided via:
(1) [Window]>[Cascade],[Tile Horizontally] or [Tile Vertically]
(2) [Setting]>[Display]>"Auto Layout After Loading a Panel Setting File">"Nil","Tile Horizontally", "Tile Vertically" . "Nil" means to keep the layout in PSF.

7. The font size in the window title bar can be configured through windows control panel.

8. Already provided.
Right click the oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer/spectrum 3D Plot window and select "Display Ch. A only", "Display Ch. B only", or "Display all". These commands actually use the "Off" option in "A Range" and "B Range" selection boxes of each graph window (see the respective view toolbar at the bottom of the screen) to do the task.
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby RJA4000 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi
Thanks for your answer :-)

VirtinsTech wrote:1. See the previous reply.

What about read only ?

VirtinsTech wrote:2. Already exists
dBV, dBFS, or dBu unit display in parallel with the unit display of V is already provided at the bottom of the inner pair of vertical scrollbars on the signal generator panel. Click the displayed text to change the displayed unit.

I know I can change the displayed unit.
My question is: Couldn't we have a flexible unit to enter the Output Amplitude value ?
Every time I want to set the signal generator to, say, -2.5dBFS, I have to translate that back in V.
If I could enter directly dBFS or dBu (or %), that would help me... and make the screen capture more readable.

VirtinsTech wrote:3. A DDP named "Number of Frames" will be added.
4. will be provided.

Thanks !

VirtinsTech wrote:5.[Setting]>[Restore to Factory Default] is already provided for this purpurse. For sound cards, currently only calibration settings for one sound card can be saved. Other ADC/DAC devices come calibrated and no additional calibration setting is required.

So my request should be labeled:
May we save several settings for one sound card, where calibration would vary, by just selecting it from the DAC or ADC device list ?

VirtinsTech wrote:6.Already provided via:
(1) [Window]>[Cascade],[Tile Horizontally] or [Tile Vertically]
(2) [Setting]>[Display]>"Auto Layout After Loading a Panel Setting File">"Nil","Tile Horizontally", "Tile Vertically" . "Nil" means to keep the layout in PSF.

OK, but the "Tile" functionality has a big drawback:
My panel settings look like this

Before_Tile.jpg
Before_Tile.jpg (208.67 KiB) Viewed 60301 times

but after Tile, I get this

After_Tile.jpg
After_Tile.jpg (201.29 KiB) Viewed 60301 times

VirtinsTech wrote:7. The font size in the window title bar can be configured through windows control panel.

Indeed

VirtinsTech wrote:8. Already provided.
Right click the oscilloscope/spectrum analyzer/spectrum 3D Plot window and select "Display Ch. A only", "Display Ch. B only", or "Display all". These commands actually use the "Off" option in "A Range" and "B Range" selection boxes of each graph window (see the respective view toolbar at the bottom of the screen) to do the task.

Of course ! Sorry.
RJA4000

Postby RJA4000 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Another few:

9. Low crest factor Multi tone generator

10. TD+N on Multi tone
RJA4000

Postby VirtinsTech » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 am

What about read only ?

It will not be provided in the coming version V3.9.

I know I can change the displayed unit. My question is: Couldn't we have a flexible unit to enter the Output Amplitude value ?
Every time I want to set the signal generator to, say, -2.5dBFS, I have to translate that back in V. If I could enter directly dBFS or dBu (or %), that would help me... and make the screen capture more readable.

Adjusting the innner pair of the vertical sliders there will update V and dBFS/dBu/dBV values simultaneously for the left and right channels respsectively. In this way you do not have to enter the dBFS/dBu/dBV values manually.

By the way, the dBFS values will be displayed with one decimal place in the coming version (currently it is displayed as an integer).

May we save several settings for one sound card, where calibration would vary, by just selecting it from the DAC or ADC device list ?

This will be added in future release, but not in the coming one.

9. The crest factor of a multi-tone signal can be controlled by the intial phase of each tone. For manual configuration of a multi-tone signal, the user is responsible for entering the intial phases. For automatic configuration of a multi-tone signal, the software will generate random initial phases which will normally keep the crest factor minimal. In the coming version (V3.9), the automatic configuration algorithm will be improved in both speed and functionality. In pariticular, when "Align to FFT" is chosen, it is possible to further specify a frequency response profile: white noise, pink noise or arbitrary.

10. What is "TD+N" multitone?
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby RJA4000 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20 am

All good news, thanks :-)

Now the xxx$ question: When will the version 3.9 be released ? :)

About Multi tone TD+N, from ARTA software manual:
"TD+N is the percentage of the square root of the ratio of power of all noise bins to
the power of multitone. Intermodulation distortion in Square+sine mode is expressed as DIM
(%)"
Idea is to associate a figure to the Noise and distortion measured with a 32 1/3 octave Multitone signal, by removing all he 32 tones and measuring what's left.
Weighting that may be a valuable option.
RJA4000

Postby VirtinsTech » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info. TD+N will be included in V3.9. it will take one or two more months to release V3.9 due to the addition of many features...
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby VirtinsTech » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:32 pm

TD+N has been added in the newly released MI 3.9. Thanks for the suggestions.
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby RJA4000 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:15 pm

VirtinsTech wrote:TD+N has been added in the newly released MI 3.9. Thanks for the suggestions.

Cool !
Thanks !!!

MI 39 TDN 25.png
MI 39 TDN 25.png (175.44 KiB) Viewed 48300 times
RJA4000

Next

Return to Wish Lists